We missed this from the last newsletter from Race Director Ron Hewitson for the season ender at My Little Pony Cross.
Thanks to Rob Bau and Arbutus Meadows for allowing COTR and Mid Island Velo Association to make MLP happen. To all the MIVA volunteers who worked so hard to make this go smoothly – thank you! Also a very special thanks to Norm, Roland and Katie for all of their hard work throughout the year. Having been race director it gives me a small glimpse into how much effort goes into just one race, never mind 7 a year!
The weather gods, Extreme Eats for the amazing burger, thick mud, sponsors for the prizes, I could go on suffice to say it went really well thanks to all of the hard work of those volunteers and thanks to everyone who helped smash the all time record of 264 participants!
This is the second of two e-mails finishing off the Cross on the Rock season this year. It is BIG….but worth it to go to the finish!
Don’t cry because it is over.
Smile because it happened!
This e-mail will cover: Who you owe a beer or a hug for the COTR series
Who you have to thank for contributing to our
prizing for 2014…..can not do it without these people!
Where to go if you want to keep racing this
fall and winter
What is up for COTR for 2015 (as we
mentioned…already working on it)
What is up for CX in BC for 2015 (Rough schedule)
And a couple of photos that somehow did not come
through last e-mail….will try again.
It will finish off….WAY at the bottom…with a
SPECIAL offer from Naked. Check….it…..out!
And if you want some BONUS material check out the Rob Parkin Intermediate
edit from MLP Cross on our FB Page.
AND EXTRA Bonus……a photo gallery from Patrick Burnham of 2014 crashes!!
AND EXTRA-EXTRA BONUS…..the timing sheet is up from the last race. Check out the lap splits!
Who you owe Beer or Hugs:
You might imagine the COTR Series takes a LOT of work.
The Race Directors who pull together the pieces.
Curtis Saunders and Lisa Ludwig: Coal Cross
Drew MacKenzie: Bear X Ing
Corey Piket and Sean Lunny: Kona Kup
Lee Blais: Port Alberni
Roland Rabien: Binab Property Group GP
Ian Craib: Ronde Von Hogwarts
Ron Hewitson: My Little Pony Cross.
The (Regular) Timers (Regular as there are a few more people that do help
out as well)
The “Crew” that pull everything together for timing, registration and 100’s
of other details
(The series would NOT happen without these two people…so hugs AND Beer)
Jack Mar for pulling together the Super Master prizes this year!
- Series Sponsors (in no particular order….all important)
Curtis and Straight Up Cycles for jumping in to the series after 1
race and doing CASH and prizing.
- Dan and Steve from Outdoor Addictions and Jack from Island Cycles
(Quadra Island) (55+ Men’s Category Sponsors)
- Pearl Izumi is one of the brands that Joele Guynup brings to support COTR
- It was a bummer that Paul Underhill our “Rumble”r could not race after breaking himself. Rumble sponsored our last not lapped and sometimes the “ready to Rumble” prize. Paul will be back NEXT year.
- Sean and Corey from Oak Bay Bikes Nanaimo. Besides putting on the
KONA KUP, prizes and support OBB has a VERY important role for COTR. They
give us a spot to park the equipment trailer. MUCH thanks!
- Cycles Lambert supports us through Peter Creighton. Peter does as much as he can with his limited budget doing prizes through supporting shops on the island.
- Still our #1 Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbKmku-mugg)
Phillips Brewery and Matt Lockhart do the BEER, Root Beer and growlers that
have made Phillips an integral part of COTR
- Shimano…..you guessed it…Joele Guynup (and DH legend Elladee Brown). Prizes and support.
- Frontrunners…..a running shop…..that without it….COTR would be sunk! Cross’ers need to run. You need shoes. Buy them from Frontrunners PLEASE (or Stefan will get ANGRY with me spending all my time on COTR!)
- Nutcase……..JOELE again!! Nutcase supports the kids events. Almost every kid in those races has a Nutcase helmet by now….but we will keep pushing them ’cause they are awesome and do a lot to support KIDS and their brains!
- Time to get “Naked”. When you have a world famous frame builder like Sam Whittingham giving away a frame set…..it is AMAZING!
- Kona (through Rock Star Rep Dik Cox) has been there since the start. Our very first race. Before we were COTR. Before we were anything.
- We have yet to get Dan Brady out for a cross race but the The Howard Johnston Nanaimo and Elk Lake still support us when ever they can with room rates and gift certificates.
- Brad Head……another racer that makes great stuff! Zed Wheels….they even named a wheel set after the series!
- Win a BIKE at BPGGP…….How…..Trek Bikes Victoria. Pro City Cycles! That is how! Plus have you seen how many of their guys come out to race?
- Greg Inkster will always be the “anvil”…..Orange Sport Supply….Distributing great products from the west coast. A grass roots company supporting grass roots cycling!
- HUGE donation from Wake Luksay from Riverway Dental covering the Youth Categories and series prizing for 2014
- One more of our Super Masters sponsors: Quadra Island Cycling Coalition (QUICC)
So you want to keep racing this Fall and Winter.
Here are some options:
Semiprestige Winter CX Series
Sunday Nov 30th – Semiprestige CX Race
Friday Dec 26th- Boxing Day CX TT
Sunday Jan 25th- Blubber Burn CX Race
The second-annual Stuckylife Semiprestige Winter Cyclocross Series.
Presented by the good people at Broad Street Cycles, our three-race, unsanctioned cross series will bring some late season grassroots racing to the Van Island CX community.
The first event, a DIY riff on a classic cross race will offer 45min of lung-burning excitement, and a social Sunday afternoon.
Semiprestige CX Race
SUNDAY NOV 30th, 2014
Mary’s Farm & Sanctuary
1128 Finlayson Arm Rd.
-A & B race
-All abilities, bikes and ages welcome. Spectating encouraged!
The course is on a new venue, kindly offered up by Mary of Mary’s Farm & Sanctuary <http://www.marysfarm.ca/> . It will be a Vancouver Island variation of a classic CX course: twisty, flowy, grassy and off-cambered. More tubular-friendly than last year’s mossy rock fest, and set in a large rolling pasture, it should provide a fantastic mix of challenging features, and lung-searing laps. Think maximum flow, crazy Belgian off-camber lines, and natural grass bowls.
Parking: Riding out to the race is encouraged, though limited parking is available at the Farm & Sanctuary. Likely room for 15-20 cars MAX.
The Broad St. boys will be leading a group ride from their shop up to the race. Rolling out at 9:30am from the shop (1419 Broad St).
As well, Broad Street Cycles will be on hand for “neutral” support solutions.
Bring a backpack with warm clothes and drinks. We will have a few tents set up, possibly some warming beverages on tap, and are planning on making a day of it. Lights for the ride home might be a good plan.
Free entry if you take a ferry to get here!
9:30am- Group ride from Broad St Cycles to the race course.
11am- Course open for pre-riding
11:45am- B race (35+min)
12:20- Course open for pre-riding
1:00- A race (45+min)
2:15- Podium! Champagne! Revelry!
Bring some cash with you. Purveyors of baked Belgian batter, Wannawafel <http://www.wannawafel.com/> , will be on course and serving hot Liege waffles.
As well, Dead Beetz <http://www.deadbeetz.com/> food truck is going to make an appearance. This excellent local food truck makes all kinds of delicious menu items, from burgers to fried root vegetable chips, etc.
In more big news, local purveyors of precious liquids, Driftwood Brewery <http://driftwoodbeer.com/home/> have stepped up with an incredible show of support. There will be loads of potable prizing for the Semiprestige, as well as some sweet Driftwood swag to snag.
Lastly, Birzman tools <http://www.birzman.com/> , manufacturers of slick CNC’d bicycle tools and accessories have offered up a couple of wares for a couple of lucky racers. Come out and win win win!
Still don’t know what the hell we are talking about? Click HERE <http://www.stuckylife.com/2013/12/semiprestige-1-cx-race-recap-semi.html> for a race recap from last year.
In SEATTLE (Really “Tacoma”):
* We have the final details for Waves for Water Cyclocross
Collaborati…on on December 6th & 7th in Tacoma, WA in place.
* Full website is
* Technical Guide is complete. If you have a question it is answered
* Preregistration with USA Cycling is available
here:https://www.usacycling.org/register/2014-2792Online registration closes
on Thursday, December 4th at 5:00 PM PST. UCI Elite Men and Women must
* Day of Registration will be available for all other categories.
* Course Maps are up: December 6th – Liberia Project –
se.pdfDecember 7th – Nepal Project –
* We look forward to seeing the west coast’s best at this stop of the
US Pro CX calendar in Tacoma, WA.
Cascade CX 2014 http://cascadecross.com/
* Zombie Xmas Cross ~ Dec 13th
* Woolley Cross ~ Jan 10th
* Bandit Cross ~ Jan 31st
COTR Series 2015-As Promised.
This is how it is looking. Keep in mind. Venues are NOT firmed up but it
is the dates are pretty much set at this point:
Sunday, September 13 COTR #1 – Cumberland with the Night Crit
before and possibly an Enduro in the Day. Weekend!!
Sunday, Sept 27 COTR #2 – Ladysmith CONFIRMED
Monday, Oct 12 COTR #3 – Thanksgiving Monday
October 25 COTR #4 – This one is up in
the Air. Topaz, MLP, Port Alberni, Parksville, Cowichan FairGrounds….Or
Bear X Ing.
Nov 7/8 COTR #5 and #6 DOUBLE
HEADER FINALS: Beban-Arubutus Meadows with an OBB party in the night.
Sunday, Nov 15 COTR #7 Finals: Shawnigan Lake
School (Fingers Crossed)
NOT part of the series BUT really important:
Nov 21/22 Most likely date but not confirmed for the
AND possibly a summer cross race at Diver Lake, Nanaimo, Mid Week, Mid
Plus there is always the chance for NICSSCOTU
CX in BC for 2015
Again….ROUGH schedule but this is how it is looking for BC.
November 2015 is going to be a HUGE month for Cyclocross in B.C.!
Saturday, September 5th Aldor Acres Season Opener
Sunday, September 13th COTR #1 – Cumberland
September 19th Castle Cross
September 26th Burnaby Foreshore or New Brighton.
Sept 27th Whistler
Sunday, Sept 27th COTR #2 – Ladysmith
October 3rd Burnaby Foreshore or New Brighton
October 4th Vanier Park
Monday, Oct 12th COTR #3 – Thanksgiving Monday
October 18th Mahon Park
October 25th COTR #4
Oct 31/Nov 1 BC Premier Cyclocross Series Pumpkin
Cross Maple Ridge
November 7th Aldergrove Lake CX
Nov 7/8 COTR #5 and #6 DOUBLE HEADER
FINALS: Beban and Arbutus Meadows
Sunday, Nov 15 BC Premier Cyclocross Series
Interior Cross Kelowna
Sunday, Nov 15 COTR Finals Quite possibly Shawnigan
Nov 21/22 Most likely date but not
confirmed for the SSCXWC
November 23rd Confederation Park CX Series Finale.
Series is Organized by the Cross Council:
With the following cycling clubs; ASS, Pro City Racing club, MIVA and Trail
Bicycles-Eatmore Sprouts Cycling Team
Straight Up Cycles in Victoria
Outdoor Addictions in Campbell River
Dodge City Cycles in Cumberland
Ozzie’s Cycles in Port Alberni
Trek Bikes Victoria. Pro City Cycles in Victoria
Oak Bay Bikes in Victoria, Westshore and Nanaimo
Trail Bikes in Courtenay
Experience cycles in Duncan
Cowichan Cycles in Duncan
Cycle Therapy in Duncan
Frontrunners in Nanaimo
Sponsored by in 2014:
Straight Up Cycles
Outdoor Addictions and Island Cycles (Quadra Island) (55+ Men’s Category
Oak Bay Bikes Nanaimo
The Howard Johnston Nanaimo and Elk Lake
Trek Bikes Victoria. Pro City Cycles
Orange Sport Supply
Riverway Dental (Youth Category Sponsors)
Quadra Island Cycling Coalition (QUICC) (55+ Men’s Category Sponsors)