Our series is basically ability-based with a division by age. Fastest racers in the Open category. All others are divided into basically beginner (called “Launch” for our series) or a middle level which is further divided into masters above 40 years of age or below 40 years of age. For a more in depth description read below.
Starting racing in one category does NOT mean you have to race that category for the rest of the season. You can try out other ones. We have had people race beginners for the first time and then a masters race later in the day and then continued racing in masters for later events. Same with Intermediate to Open. We want you in the category that best suits your ability and competitiveness level. At the same time we do NOT want “sandbagging” (racing a category below your fitness/skill level).
- Launch (Formerly Beginner) / U13 / U15 Men and Women: This is someone that is new to bike racing. New to cross racing. Young. Old. As with all of our categories if you are TOO fast we will give you a gentle nudge. U13 and U15 will be ranked separately for the series but prizing for each race is together with those you race with.
- Intermediate / U17 Men: If you have graduated up from Beginners. Getting Faster but not quite fast enough to race Open. Still too young for Masters. Then this is your category. U17 will be ranked separately for the series but prizing for each race is together with those you race with.
- Intermediate / U17 / 40+ Women: You have graduated up from Beginners. Getting Faster but not quite fast enough to race Open. All three age groups start together 1 minute behind the Intermediate /U17 Men, U17, 40-54 and 55 and faster women will be ranked separately for the series. Prizing is divided by: Intermediate/U17, 40-54 and 55 and faster for each race.
- Masters Men 40 – 54: This is the category for Men over 40 and under 55 that are not beginners and not willing or able to race Open!
- Masters Men 55+: This is the category for Men 55 and older that are not willing or able to race Masters 40-54 or Open.
- Open Women (Formerly Expert): Too fast or competitive for the Intermediate category. Ready for a longer race against the fastest women in cross.
- Open Men (Formerly Expert): If you have raced Pro, Expert, Cat 1/2 or have finished in the top half of a Cat 3 field then this is your category. Any Age. Races are about an hour.
- Kids: Kids have two choices. Little Kids and Bigger kids. The little kids do a short race on a modified course. Run bikes, pedal bikes, training wheels, bike with gears are all allowed. Depending on numbers and ages these races are normally split into smaller races depending on ability. Older kids with more ability then graduate to the 1 lap of the FULL-COURSE race. Once the full one lap race becomes too easy or the kids want to challenge themselves more kids may race in Beginner / U13 / U15 instead of the one lap race.