Short and sharp intervals to bring you to PEAK for the SERIES FINAL:
- There has been a tremendous amount of work to make sure that our race goes ahead this weekend. Beban Park is currently an active construction zone as a huge water main project is happening in the park. The area we race has equipment and pipe storage on it which has caused us to move and alter the course based on where this equipment is. Nanaimo Parks and Recreation and in particular a few people that work there have worked hard to make sure this race happens. We are going to put this in all caps now and repeat it in a two places in this newsletter as well as on social media. IF ANYONE FROM OUR EVENT AND/OR RACERS FANS OR FAMILIES GOES ON ANY OF THE EQUIPMENT OR SUPPLIES THAT ARE ON SITE FOR CONSTRUCTION THEY WILL BE DISQUALIFIED FROM THE RACE AND NOT ALLOWED TO RACE FOR THE 2023 RACE SEASON. This is MEGA – Serious. We can just picture kids trying to “play” on the pipe pile and dislodging a pipe or slipping between (This includes the very NICE looking dirt pile. We asked if we can use it as a run up…..but no). Or one of our awesome photographers trying to get “that great shot” on top of the pipes. Just don’t do it. Please tell your friends and watch your kids. Thank you in advance for being on this 100%
- REGISTER for Hot Crossed Bunnies REGISTRATION LINK The registration link goes DARK as always at 6:00pm the night before the race (Saturday night) so just register now and get it done!
- The racer list is really shaping up for Hot Crossed Bunnies. Looking it over there will be some interesting action. Jenn Jackson the winner of the Muc Off Cup will be back in Open women. One interesting racer name popping up from Ontario is chuck norris’ life coach, and part time hulk hogan impersonator, Nathan Chown who is a former Canadian National Cyclcross worlds team member way back in the canti days. It will be great to see him out there.
- The Cross on the Rock Facebook page has been posting some past Hot Crossed Bunnies edits this week. The 2012 Pelle Gustavs edit still holds up a decade later. Check it out.
- Ever wonder what it would be like to live and race in Europe? Cross on the rock racer Liam Sargent is doing just that in England! From his dad Mike: He’s just racing independently for now, he was on the podium in a race in London this past weekend and he’s targeting an end of season trip to races in Belgium in February. So he’s having a blast anyway. Check out the race that he did last weekend. The scene looks rad! https://www.hernehillvelodrome.com/rapha-muddy-hell We will see if we can get a report from him for the last newsletter.
- Keep an eye on our social media pages until Sunday for up to the minute updates an information!
1. Hot Crossed Bunnies – Event Preview
Hot Crossed Bunnies. Race #6. Series FINAL. Preview!
Read this first. Repeat from above but SUPER IMPORTANT: There has been a tremendous amount of work to make sure that our race goes ahead this weekend. Beban Park is currently an active construction zone as a huge water main project is happening in the park. The area we race has equipment and pipe storage on it which has caused us to move and alter the course based on where this equipment is. Nanaimo Parks and Recreation and in particular a few people that work there have worked hard to make sure this race happens. We are going to put this in all caps now and repeat it in a two places in this newsletter as well as on social media. IF ANYONE FROM OUR EVENT AND/OR RACERS FANS OR FAMILIES GOES ON ANY OF THE EQUIPMENT OR SUPPLIES THAT ARE ON SITE FOR CONSTRUCTION THEY WILL BE DISQUALIFIED FROM THE RACE AND NOT ALLOWED TO RACE FOR THE 2023 RACE SEASON. This is MEGA – Serious. We can just picture kids trying to “play” on the pipe pile and dislodging a pipe or slipping between (This includes the very NICE looking dirt pile. We asked if we can use it as a run up…..but no). Or one of our awesome photographers trying to get “that great shot” on top of the pipes. Just don’t do it. Please tell your friends and watch your kids. Thank you in advance for being on this 100%
Parking: (Consult Map) Beban park is HUGE. But on any given weekend there is a LOT going on. Adding to that is the massive construction zone in the middle of our course. The best place to park for the race is south of the race course in the gravel lot by the Steve Smith Jump park. This is accessed off the main road through the park by the gold course. This is the BEST parking spot for our event. PLEASE DO NOT PARK at the soccer club house parking which is the closest to the start. There is always soccer going on the weekends and they love their close parking lot. The lot by the BMX track is normally under-utilized and close to all the action. The paved parking by the Pool and arena is also a good option. Parking on the roadways or grass is strictly forbidden and will get you towed and we will not like you. There is limited parking as well south of the course by the golf course. You will find a spot without parking like a…..you know…..starts with an “a”.
Team Tents: Will be in the same spot as last year by the sand riding ring. Weather forecast is much better than last year but still make sure your tent is staked and secured. It is drop and go (NO PARKING AT TEAM TENTS AREA) until we close and lock the gates around 9:30am. After that point you will have to carry your gear in. On the flip side the gate will be LOCKED until after the OPEN races so it will be carry out until that point. There will be no team vehicles inside the gate or we will run out of space for the team tents. This will be a GREAT spot to watch. Close to the pits and the course.
Registration: As it has been all season pre-registration only. This will close like normal at 6:00pm the night before the race. In this case that will be SATURDAY NIGHT at 6:00pm. The call up sheets are literally done by 6:10pm the night before the race. So if you FORGET or put it off you are unlikely to get your earned call up spot.
The link to register is Here
Race day number pick up and race central will be located in the Agriplex. Consult the map.
Washrooms: There will be porta johns located at the end of the opening straight away. There are LOTS of other (Flush) washrooms located in Beban park. You can also locate washrooms in almost all buildings in the park. Both arenas. Down by the artificial turf field. In the Pool. NO DIRTY BIKE SHOES OR DIRTY PEOPLE INSIDE THE BUILDINGS OR WASHROOMS. Clean yourself up BEFORE going into a public area. We want to be able to use this venue again. MORE IMPORTANTLY if you are going IN a building LOCK YOUR BIKE (Bikes have been stolen at this event when left unattended. Don’t lose your bike)!!!
Awards: Awards location will be in the Agriplex where the finish has been located in the past but is NOT located this year. You can’t miss it.
Race Course: The Major construction this year has meant a major shake up of our course design. We’ll still have the classic elements that make this course great. MUD, SAND, WOOD CHIPS, PAVEMENT, GRAVEL. It will be be awesome.
Food Truck: Sip and Sliders (Same as Muc Off Cup) will be on-site and ready to serve up lunch or snacks.
Post race: We will want to get the awards going as soon as possible on Sunday. With that in mind please help us both tear down as well as RAKE out the course. With Construction we won’t have to worry as much about the top section by the Arenas, but the hill by the BMX and the riding rings always need some work post race. Please bring a rake and work gloves. Many hands make light work and get the work done FAST. We will make an announcement when we are starting the awards….and…..well…..there will be no one left on course so you will notice that the awards have started! Ideally we would like to start around 4:00. Racing will be done around 3:30 so that gives us 30 minutes to get it all done: Torn down. Raked. Trailer loaded for the National Championships!
2. Study-Build and Cross on the Rock National Championship Scholarships program.
With the National Cyclocross Championships in BC and specifically on Vancouver Island for the first time since 2006 this is an amazing opportunity for our racers to gain excellent experience. This could also lead to an opportunity to qualify for the world championships in January or launch your cyclocross career. We would like to HELP
Cross on the rock in partnership with Study-Build would like to support any youth racers that are planning on going to race the national Cyclocross Championships in Victoria or would go to race if they had a bit of help or just to cover their entry fees.
We are offering funds to help with in order of priority: UCI licenses, license upgrades, entry fee, travel or something else that would help you get to the start line. Life is expensive right now. We want to help out.
Applications must be received by 6:00pm on Saturday, November 20th. We will contact you as soon as possible.
- You must have raced at least 3 Cross on the Rock races in the 2022 Race Season
- You must be under 20 years old (if you are slightly older and need some funds to make this happen let us know)
- Include your name, e-mail, what you would use the money for (related to nationals) and how much you need to accomplish this.
- Funds are available up to $200 per racer and as little needed to support your race.
Not all applications will be funded as we do not have unlimited funds but we will try to fund as many projects as possible within our budget and parameters.
Send to: Normon@crossontherock.com
Link to Cyclocross Nationals Site: https://www.bearcrossgrandprix.com/
3. Check your points. Check your team points!
We are working on separating out the SUPER MASTERS women from the Masters results which may shake up the team results before the weekend!! Keep an eye on it. This is a technical time consuming job but we know it is important to get done so are working on it!
As you know from reading our series rules if you race the full series only your top 5 results count towards your overall standings. Roland has made a series results page with your lowest score crossed out. If you want to check it out it is located here!
The team competition continues to be CLOSE. Make sure you check your team points before the series final!!
Most of the errors that happen in the team competition have to do with the team name that was inputted at the time of registration. If it does not match your other team mates…..then your points will not get counted.
If your team name is NOT CORRECT it is now possible to adjust them yourself because Roland is a master of coding!
Now people can go to their user page e.g. https://www.crossontherock.com/php/racer/?racername=Normon+Thibault
There is an edit link next to each result. Click the link, press the get password button. Your password gets emailed to you. Type in the team name you want and hit save. Team name updated!
You can edit team name, city and age. You can’t edit your name…..so if you have registered using different names and want the results for all your personalities to be put together send an e-mail to the link on the results page. Multiple names can ALSO effect your call up……so it is worth fixing.
4. Wanna keep on racing this fall?
The Cross on the Rock series closes out this Sunday at Beban park but that does not mean that YOU have to close your racing out. There are still some opportunities for some MUD and/or some great racing.
First of all the National Championships is being hosted ON VANCOUVER ISLAND in Victoria from November 25-27th. There is a race on the Friday, National Championships Saturday then another race Sunday!
Before Nationals there is a race in race in Coquitlam on November 20th. The Quest for the Tri-Force of Cyclocross (We love the name). https://thrashersbc.ca/events/
If you want to cross the border there is in Bellingham the Cascade Cross series https://cascadecross.com/ with races still coming up on December 17th and January 7th.
MFG in Seattle https://mfgcyclocross.bike/series-info/ finishes their series on November 20th with Woodland Park. If you have not been to a Seattle race you have NOT lived!
Seattle Cyclocross also finishes their series on November 27th if you want to check them out. http://www.cross-revolution.com/
And the WORLDS BEST CYCLOCROSS SERIES (So they call themselves) Cross Crusade finishes up in Portland on the 20th of November. https://crosscrusade.com/schedule/Parting Shot.
We love racing. But we love the community MORE. Hopefully you can race on Sunday BUT even if you can not come out and cheer and see your people!! Lets finish the season strong!