HOT COTR TOPICS
· Nothing more HOT than this. A Pelle original edit from Kona Kup. Provincial Championships (Sponsored by OBB): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmk9bujMb74
· Bring someone NEW. We all get introduced to cross somehow. Most people it is through a friend or riding partner. This Sunday is the last race of the season. If you have someone that has not raced cross before….that you think would enjoy it. Young or old. Why not bring them. Stick them in the Beginners category. Get them to watch. Just get them out. There is a Pizza Truck!!
· From Scott Mitchell at Pro City Cycles. ! If anyone turns in my Oakley Jawbones I would be very grateful and give them a 6 pack of beer. If not I wish them an eternity of flat tires and last place COTR finishes. White and Black Jawbones with clear lenses. Threw them at my truck during the (Kona Kup) race.
We have some MAJOR prizing to give away at the final this year. Not the “Volume” of stuff as in past years….BUT there will be some serious QUALITY stuff!
· Winners in Intermediate Men’s and Women’s, Masters, Open Women and Expert….all will get Pearl Izumi Trail Running Shoes
· Winners in Beginner will get helmets.
· Series winners in 13 categories. 1st, 2nd and 3rd in all series categories….prizes.
· Not a prize but we will be giving away the 11 X $200 Travel Grants to youth riders.
· HUGE—ZED Wheels!!!!
· HUGER—-a NAKED Frame with ZED Wheels PRO Bar and Stem
· Howard Johnston GC’s.
YOU GOTTA BE THERE TO WIN!
· Patrick Burnham is going to be doing his COTR Calendar’s again. 12 months of COTR photos. All the $$ go to JR racers.
There will be only 30 of these made: Patrick Burnham firstname.lastname@example.org
· More Photos from Kona Kup: http://suehandel.zenfolio.com/p62248077
· Last Nutcase Sponsored Lil’Nutty Kids race this weekend. We have 2 more helmets and a few more bells to give away to our tyke racers!
POSTIVE FEEDBACK. Last Chance for this one guys HEAVY PUSH:
Public Venues are harder and harder to get and keep for our sport as we grow. E-Mails to the right people at the right time make it a LOT easier in the future. Please take a few minutes in the next day and send a note to one or all of the following (Parks and Rec. being the most important).
BCC me on it and we will put you in for another draw (deadline is Thursday night at 6:00pm for this….then I will draw):
#1. The Nanaimo Bulletin has a Bouquets section and their e-mail is: email@example.com
#2 is Nanaimo Parks and Recreation who let us use their park and you can fire those ones to: Elizabeth Williams (Elizabeth.Williams@nanaimo.ca).
#3 is letters to Editor for the Daily News. firstname.lastname@example.org
We will go to November 20th for this round. Just letting you know that it does help and is working so thanks to the people that send e-mails.
E-mail me your best photos. No more than 5 per person. Must be submitted no later than 8:00pm, Thursday, November 21st. Winner gets something cool!….not sure what yet.
Ronde Van Hogwarts. Laste Ronde!
Three things to remember for this weekend.
2. Make it to the start line.
3. Make it to the finish line.
As we all know the cross season is WAY too SHORT. There is a LONG-LONG time between now and the next cross race on Vancouver Island (actually we might be having a cross race in June…so stay tuned on that one). So come out and support the series. Have a great time. Finish the season right. The snow and REALLY bad weather will be here soon enough and we will all be dreaming of cross again too quickly.
We were last at Shawnigan Lake School way back in 2009 for the series championships. The following year we were scheduled to finish the series at Shawnigan again but we had a snow storm dumping about a meter of snow in that area and a bunch of their buildings were out of power….it was a mess….so we had to cancel the finals. We are looking forward to returning again to finish off the series this year.
A few BIG rules about the venue;
1. This is a private school. Please as always respect the venue and that we are guest here. Park where directed.
2. Do not ride on the playing fields.
3. No shoes in the club house. Bring indoor flip flops or warm socks for the awards afterwards….we will have the fire going.
Last time we were at Shawnigan in 2009 the category winners were:
Beginner Women: Mary Wakefield
Beginner Men: Liam Farrar
Intermediate Men: Geoff Pendrel
Masters Men: Justin Mark
Open Women: Mical Dyck
Expert: Craig Richey.
There are some notable names in the results that year: http://www.crossontherock.com/php/race-results/?raceid=22
Here is the word from Ian Craib the event director for this event (with notes from me added as well):
Both Cycle Therapy and Experience Cycle have agreed to support the event and donate prizes
Norco will be donating prizes
Bonterra Pizza will be providing food and beverage support. PIZZA!!!!!!!
Oak Bay Bikes (WestShore and Victoria), the principal sponsor of Cross on the Rock has agreed to help where needed
Fernwood Inn will be providing some draw prizes.
Course by Drew Mackenzie: has been approved by the school.
Cleaning station and Shower facilities will be available
The Pavilion will be used for registration and awards ceremony – NO SHOES
Chopper will be the DJ/Announcer (drummer mechanic from Experience)
Duane M. will be attending to do the
Students are aware of the event but since it is a “leave weekend” (campus will be almost empty of any students and staff)
We will be doing the event awards and then series awards right after the event in the Pavilion Building.
MAP of the venue is in the series guide.
Check out the series points. Roland has done the series points up with the DROP (lowest score) so that you can see where you stand….and who you need to beat this weekend: http://www.crossontherock.com/php/series-results/?series=2013&of=4
There are some TIGHT battles in there!
COTR SHIRTS (Like everything else….LAST CHANCE)
Shirts are re-loaded. I have the following put aside for people:
Drew MacKenzie Large
Simon Pearson Medium
Jamie Emery Medium
Dan Curtis Large
Ian Craib LArge
Barry Remple Medium
Anthony and Paul from Cycle Therapy Medium and LArge
Derek Steel Medium
Paul Underhill 3 Medium
Mistel Dann 2 youth
Chris Goble W’s Small
Women’s Sm: 1, Medium 8, Large 1, XL 1
Men’s Sm 2, Medium, 7, large 5, XL 1
The shirts are American Apparel. The nice 50/50 shirts as they hold the black colour better than straight cotton and also wick a bit better. Men’s sizing and women’s sizing.
IF YOU WANT A SHIRT put aside e-mail me at email@example.com
Get NAKED for 2014
If you want to be riding one of these sweet rigs….you already have to be thinking a head to NEXT COTR season.
Check Sam’s bike out this weekend. You will want one….I know I do!!
We would love to have 4 or 5 heavy blankets in our First Aid kit if anyone has any out there that they could donate please fire me a note and possibly bring to the races this weekend.
$$ for Youth travelling to Nationals. (LAST CHANCE. MUST HAVE APPLICATION BY Wednesday the 20th at 6:00pm)
Past COTR Photo contest winner, Patrick Burnham, did a SWEET calendar last year of 12 of his COTR photos and sold them at the end of the season. He collected the $ for the calendars…..around $500. MEANWHILE down in Victoria Pro City Cycling and the Binab Property Group GP also had a donation from Vista Estates of $500. AND then Tyler Trace put in his prize money from last weekend….another $100. So we have $1100 for 11 X $100 Travel grants for U19 racers. Male or Female. Travelling to National Championships in Surrey at the end of November.
We thought that was ALL But then the Cross Club in Victoria coughed up another $1100 so we will be doing 11 X $200 Grants now!! Get on it JR Racers….get your application in.
This is the list of who we have applications from:
Sarah Van Dan
Sage Steed Parikh
If you have submitted your application but are not on this list please let us know ASAP.
You MUST be planning on attending and racing at the National Championships in Surrey at the end of the month. If you are not….then you are not eligible for this grant.
Must be from the Island, a surrounding Island or Powell River. (If not from an Island…they must be supporting COTR a lot!!)
Must be 18 or under
Someone who supports cross on the rock
Someone who is planning on attending Nationals, or would go if they had the help of the grant.
From there we will do a draw for the 11 grants from the submitted applications.
REGISTRATION for COTR
Pre-registration IS the way to go ALWAYS!
Laste Ronde. Laste Ronde.
Ronde Van Hogwarts Series Championship – http://www.raceonline.ca/events/details/?id=471
Series is Organized by the Cross Council:
With the following cycling clubs: MIVA, VICC, Trail Bicycles-Eatmore Sprouts Cycling Team, Cowichan Cycling Cartel, ASS and AVR
Oak Bay Bikes in Victoria, Westshore and Nanaimo
Trail Bikes in Courtenay
Experience cycles in Duncan
Cowichan Cycles in Duncan
Cycle Therapy in Duncan
Frontrunners in Nanaimo
Straight Up Cycles in Victoria
Dodge City Cycles in Cumberland
Ozzie’s Cycles in Port Alberni
Supported and Sanctioned by: